Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Introduction To A Study of The Names of God

At our Homeschool Co-op we have a Chapel time during our snack time. We break bread (or popcorn) together while we study in the Word of God together. I have the privilege of leading this time.

As I considered this chapel time I had to recognize that we were a diverse group from different denominational backgrounds. I would also be teaching an age range from pre-school to adults. My dilemma was what did I need to focus on that would keep the attention span of a pre-schooler and yet also be edifying and encouraging for every age in the room including the adults, while not offending any one's denominational doctrine.

As I was seeking God's will for this chapel time and was asking Him what direction I needed to go in, He led me to Himself. He simply said... teach Me. So the chapel time is focused on learning the names of God.

We learn a new Hebrew name for God each week of co-op and we look at what that name means, where God teaches it to us, and how knowing it applies to our lives.

I introduced the study by sharing how I have had different names through out my life that have shared a part of who I am. My given name is Nicole Love Halbrooks. When I was growing up I got the name No-No from my cousin who is nine months younger than me because he could not say Nicole. My dad used to call me Sleufoot and my aunt called me Red.
When I got my drivers licence I got the nickname Crash and Brick because I had several wrecks in a row, in one I totaled my parents brand new car by crashing through two brick columns, thus Crash and Brick. When my oldest niece was born I got the name Nay-Nay, and I am still Nay-Nay to all my nieces and nephews.
Then I met my husband and I became Nicole Love Halbrooks Vaughn. I became Wife and Stepmother to his beautiful daughter. Then I had my Shelby and Bekah and I became Momma. When I became a teacher, I became Mrs Nicole. These are just a few of the names that I have been given that have revealed a part of who I am.

In the same way God has revealed Himself to us in the names He has given us in Scripture. Each name shares a part of who He is and teaches us a little bit more of His character.

Some boast in chariots and some in horses,
But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God.
Psalm 20:7
  
The name of the LORD is a strong tower;
The righteous runs into it and is safe. 
Proverbs 18:10

Our help is in the name of the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.
Psalm 124:8

for
WHOEVER WILL CALL
ON THE NAME OF THE LORD
WILL BE SAVED.”
Romans 10:13

These are just a small example of the plethora of Scripture that lets us know how important the name of our God is and should be too us.

So I invite you to join us in this study of the names of God...


2 comments: