Thursday, November 10, 2011

Life Is A Funny Thing

Life is a funny thing.

I remember when my sister had her wreck a little over a year ago... we were sitting in the hospital waiting room not knowing if she would live and if she did, what would be her life from this point. While we were there in the hospital our church was experiencing the spiritual high of Judgment Seat.

Now this year I sit here at the beach and back at home my sister-in-law has just received the news that she will be facing chemotherapy...

It is a hard pressed thing to think of how on the same day at the very same moment in time one person is experiencing the most wonderful day of their life... while another the absolute worst... and yet God is right there in the midst of both at the same time.

My sister's wreck was probably the first time that this realization ever really hit home.

What it taught me was to be aware...

Not to beware,
but BE AWARE.

I pay more attention now to the hurts of others when before when I would get lost in my most wonderful moments and be completely oblivious to the one beside me who was having the absolute worst moment. I did not do it on purpose... it just was not in my scope... but now it is.

I think this might be one of the reasons the Holy Spirit had Paul write,

With all prayer and petition
pray at all times in the Spirit,
and with this in view,
be on the alert with all perseverance
and petition for all the saints
Ephesians 6:18 

I have learned to be more alert to the hurts around me... to pray... to be more purposeful to send that text, that email, that message, just to let someone know they are on my mind. I am more purposeful to stop and pray and when I have great news I remember those who have just heard bad news... and then in the like... when I have bad news I can rejoice that some where someone else has just had great news.

It's a funny thing to learn to be thankful in both, to rejoice in good times and bad, to know that God is always right there in the midst of them both.

Rejoice in the Lord always;
again I will say,
rejoice!
Philippians 4:4

No comments:

Post a Comment