Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Surrender

I never knew surrender could be so free,
I never seen such meekness in majesty...
And now I sing freedom for all of my days,
it's only by the power of the cross I'm raised...
The King of Glory rescued me...

I've had this song in my head for about a week now. I have noticed that I begin to sing it when I begin to try to take control of life again. Isn't it mind-blowing how we can know beyond the shadow of any doubt how freeing surrendering into the sovereignty of God can be, yet we still find ourselves fighting it.

I know with all that I am and all that I ever hope to be that He is faithful.
I believe with all that I am and all that I ever hope to be that what He has spoken will come to pass.
I trust with all that I am and all that I ever hope to be that my past, present, and future are in His hands.

Yet still I constantly find myself in the same place as the father in Mark 9 as I come to God with my petition.

"But if You can do anything, take pity on us and help us!” And Jesus said to him, "‘If You can?’ All things are possible to him who believes." Immediately the boy’s father cried out and said, “I do believe; help my unbelief.” (Mark 9:22-24)

Although my faith has moved past the "if You can" I still struggle with unbelief. Unbelief that I even deserve to have Him answer me with a yes to my request. I am fully sure of His ability. I know all things are possible with God. I know what He can do, it's just the will do that I struggle with. So I too cry out, "I do believe; help my unbelief."

So many times my prayer, (or more accurately called pout, or as I shared before whine), is "God I know You can do this if You want to, so why haven't You done it? Is it me? Am I doing something wrong? I don't understand?"

I can have a petition before my God, then out of the blue an idea will come to me on how to fix it... and then I will get irritated because my response to my thought is, "Well great... Yep that sounded all good and all, but since it popped into my head I know You are not going to do it that way. So just strike that as not gonna happen."

So many times I come up with what I consider to be a brilliant plan and then I just pass it on up to the Creator of the Universe and ask Him to put His God stamp on it and call it good... you know, "Dear God could You please submit to my will... k... thanks"

So many times, God whispers let Me help you, and I put my hand in His face and say, "No, that's alright God. I got it."

I mean really, is that the kind of attitude to have before a holy God?
I would think probably not... so then comes the thanking Him for the promise 1 John 1:9 and then immediately putting it into action.

How I wish that I could just always remember that I am to trust.
I am to surrender.
I am to submit.
Not my will but Your will be done...

Jesus came that we may have life and freedom. For whom the Son has set free is free indeed. This freedom is meant to free us from the worries of this world, so that we might rest in our God and just focus on worshipping Him. Not that worries won't come, but they are not to consume or control us. This sweet surrender of our life is a freedom like none other. It is freedom that is full of grace and truth and hope when we choose to rest in it. It is a surrender into the incomprehensible sovereignty of a Most Holy Creator God. It is a surrender to the unknown by faith in the One who is slowly revealing Himself to us because we could not handle Him any other way.

“The steadfast of mind You will keep in perfect peace, Because he trusts in You. “Trust in the LORD forever, For in GOD the LORD, we have an everlasting Rock." (Isaiah 26:2-4)

I so look forward to the day that I will know as I have been known.
(1 Corin 13:12).

Until then I will keep praising and thanking Him for what He has allowed me to know and keep praying that He will continue to let me know Him more and more.




No comments:

Post a Comment